The slow cooker is a kitchen gadget that I often forget about because when I think of cooking, I think of standing in front of the stove while sautéing and stirring and watching intently as a meal comes together. Lately, I have had limited time to cook meals and realized I had the solution right in front of me. With coconut curry being a favorite dish of mine, it was an easy decision to toss the ingredients in my slow cooker and let it do its thing. Here I have a recipe that can be served over grains like brown rice or quinoa, or simply enjoyed on its own for a low-carb meal. It can also be made vegan by substituting vegetable broth and adding more veggies instead of using chicken.
For additional ideas to accommodate for food allergies or meal plans, leave a comment below.
Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Cashew Chicken
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 14-oz unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp curry powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 small white or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup cashews
- Cilantro for serving
- Cooked brown rice or quinoa, if desired
- In the bottom of the slow cooker, whisk together chicken broth, coconut milk, curry powder, cayenne powder, ground ginger, salt, and minced garlic.
- Add chicken, bell peppers, onion, green beans, sweet potatoes, and peas. Gently toss ingredients together with tongs to evenly coat with the sauce.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2-3 hours, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over rice or quinoa, if desired, and top with cashews and fresh cilantro.
Craving Wellness http://www.craving-wellness.com/